Friday, March 5, 2010

5 Minute Chocolate Mug Cake

A cake that you can make in your microwave in 5 minutes or less? Sounds fantastic (and dangerous) right? Well that's what I thought when someone emailed me the recipe. I went home that night and tried it and let me tell you it wasn't fantastic. Far from it. While it was in the microwave cooking it almost smelled like it was burning. I took it out and let it cool for a minute, while it cooked all of the chocolate chips sank to the bottom of the mug. It was really, really dense and thick and wasn't sweet. I like my cake to be light and fluffy. Maybe it's asking to much for a five minute cake you cook in the microwave to actually taste good. Oh well it was a fun little experiment. I think if I played with the recipe and tweaked it, it might be good but I don't want to invest that much time in it. Here's the recipe if you want to try it.

All the chips stuck in the bottom
The cake dumped out on a plate
My confusion after taking a bite. I was even a little scared to try it.


5 Minute Chocolate Mug Cake

4 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons sugar (I would try maybe 5 tbsps)
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 egg
3 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons oil
3 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional)
a small splash of vanilla
1 large microwave safe coffee mug

Add dry ingredients to mug and mix well. Add the egg and mix thoroughly. Pour in the milk and oil and mix well. Add chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla and mix again. Put the mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts. (I have no idea how you know the watts?) The cake will rise over the top of the mug but don't be alarmed. Allow to cool for a minute and then tip out onto a plate if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment