Friday, January 15, 2010

Rhonda's Lasagna



Ok, I have known my husband since the 10th grade (awe high school sweethearts isn't that cute) and he is a VERY picky eater. Well when we got married (at 18) there were very few things that I could cook that he would actually eat. Rhonda's Lasagna is his favorite meal. Rhonda is his mother and she would make this lasagna for her boy and he would gobble it up. It's unique because instead of lasagna noodles you use crescent rolls. So needless to say I had to master this recipe if I wanted to make my man happy. Fortunately for me it's an easy recipe. I have tweeked it just a little over the years, but here it is.

(sorry not the best picture I've ever taken)
Rhonda's Lasagna

1/2 pound ground sausage (like Owens or Jimmy
Dean)
1/2 pound lean ground beef
3/4 cup onion-chopped (if you don't like onion like my hubby just use about 1 tablespoon dried onion)
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon salt
dash of pepper
1 can (6 oz) tomato paste (I use the one with garlic and basil added to give it more flavor)
1 cup cottage cheese
1 egg
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
2 cans of crescent rolls
1 (8 oz) bag of shredded mozzarella cheese

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. In a large skillet brown the sausage and ground beef (if you like a strong garlic flavor like I do add some chopped garlic to the meat). Drain excess fat, then add onion, garlic salt, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper and tomato paste. Using the tomato paste can, fill it half full of water and add that to the meat mixture. Simmer about 5 minutes. In a small bowl combine the cottage cheese, egg and Parmesan. Set aside.

Roll out one can of the crescent rolls to cover the bottom of a 9X13 pan. Spread half of the meat mixture on the crescent rolls, then the cottage cheese mixture, then the remaining meat mixture. Then add mozzarella cheese and the other can of crescent rolls. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and bubbling. This is definitely nummy num!

No comments:

Post a Comment