Thursday, December 3, 2009

Almond Joy Cake


Ok I took it to work and everybody said they liked it (although they could be lying to be nice). I thought it tasted good but it is very rich and thick. I tend to like my cakes a little on the "fluffy" side so this cake wasn't my favorite. If you have every had Coca-Cola cake it reminds me of that.




The Captain where I work is always giving me recipes because he knows I love to bake. Well this is one of the recipes. His birthday is tomorrow so I made him this cake. A couple of things though....It calls for chocolate cake mix (which is what I used) but I think for it to be more like a true Almond Joy you should use coconut cake mix. I just couldn't find it at the store so I used chocolate. The recipe also says to use a 10X15 pan. I didn't listen for some stupid reason and I should have. I used a 9X13 and it wasn't big enough. I'm thinking it's going to be a really rich cake. I will let you know how it tasted.~side note, I realize that the writing on this cake is horrendous but my icing wasn't working with me.

Almond Joy Cake

1 chocolate cake mix
1 cup evaporated milk
1 cup sugar
24 large marshmallows
1 (14 ounce) package of coconut
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1 1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter or 1 stick
12 ounces butter
12 ounces chocolate chips
1 (3 ounce) package sliced almonds

Prepare and bake cake mix according to package directions for 10X15 inch cake pan. Bring 1 cup evaporated milk and 1 cup sugar to a boil in a saucepan. Stir in marshmallows until melted. Add coconut. Pour mixture over warm cake. Sprinkle almonds on top of that layer. Bring 1/2 cup evaporated milk and 1 1/2 cups sugar to a boil in saucepan. Stir in butter and chocolate chips until melted. Pour over coconut layer.

No comments:

Post a Comment