Saturday, December 12, 2009

Homemade Frosted Animal Cookies



These little buggers were a pain in the b-hind! First the recipe was way weird so I had to convert it before I could make the cookie dough. Then when I was trying to roll out the dough to cut out the shapes, it was too sticky so I had to start over by flouring the parchment paper. After all of that it went pretty smooth. I think they look and taste just like the ones I remember when I was a kid. The shapes are kind of hard to make out but that is all part of the fun. "Is it a tiger or a dog?" Who knows. I just like to eat them!

Frosted Animal Cookies

I'm writing the recipe as it was written and in parenthesis I will write the measurements I used.

12 ounces unsalted butter (3 sticks)
8 ounces sugar (1 cup)
1 pound all purpose flour (3 1/2 cups)
1/4 ounce baking powder (1/2 tablespoon)
1/8 ounce salt (1 1/2 teaspoons)
1 3/4 ounces whole egg (2 eggs)
1 ounce milk (2 tablespoons)
1/2 ounce vanilla (1 tablespoon)
8 ounces of white chocolate (1 cup)
colored sprinkles also called nonpareils

On low speed, cream butter and sugar together until the mixture is light and fluffy. Then add eggs, milk and vanilla. In another bowl sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside. On low speed add the flour mixture to the wet mixture in three parts, scraping down the sides of the bowl between each addition. Blend just until incorporated. Divide the dough and wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. Roll out dough until its 3/16 inches thick. Cut out animal shapes. Transfer to parchment lined cookie sheets. Bake at 300 degrees or until the cookies are golden and slightly browned on the edges approximately 6-8 minutes. (I cooked mine for about 15 minutes!)
Allow to cool. Once the cookies are cool, dip them in melted chocolate and then sprinkle with nonpareils.

TIP: It is better to use candy colors to tint chocolate because other colors are water based and the candy colors are oil based.

No comments:

Post a Comment